[Ads-l] "Strew" as [stroU]

Paul A Johnston, Jr. paul.johnston at WMICH.EDU
Fri Jul 17 03:13:43 UTC 2015

Wilson:

Just looked strew up in the OED, and you're right; strow/strew are doublets.  I'm not sure what British dialects use it as a verb (SW? W Midlands?), but I've heard strow n. meaning "a mess" in Northumberland.  It's somewhat parallel to other Eu/ou doublets like ewe/yow(e), shrew/shrow (cf. the two pronunciations of Shrewsbury) and shew/show, going back to alternations between OE diphthongs stressed on the first element and stress-shifted ones, helped along by the preceding consonants.  Show, of course, usually has [-ou] here (pace Ed Sullivan), and I've only heard "yow" in the phrase "yow-tits" = "blackcaps" from my WV-born mother-in-law.  It has /o/, as in the southwest of England, not Scottish /^u/, which would presumably come out as /au/ or the like.

Paul