[Ads-l] "nip and tuck" antedated to 1830

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Fri Jul 17 17:10:36 UTC 2015

Frankfort Argus, page [2], col. 1, vol. 25, iss. 29
September 1, 1830; Frankfort, Kentucky. Headline: Political. (From the Nashville Republican)
{Article on the prospects of Mr. [Henry] Clay running in the next election and whether New England or Kentucky was supposedly abandoning Clay faster.}
....In the business of "bolting," therefore, New-England can't get "the start." Kentucky has it already, and we defy the fleetest of the Yankee states to overtake her. She's off! We almost regret this circumstance. Could New-England and Kentucky have had an even start in "bolting" from Mr. Clay, what a beautiful race they would have made of it! "Nip and Tuck" it would have been, but Kentucky, Old Kentucky, would have come out a head.

Stephen Goranson
http://people.duke.edu/~goranson/