[Ads-l] Fwd: "Born in" vs. "second-generation"

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Fri Jul 17 23:54:30 UTC 2015

Ah, that explains it.  But doesn't excuse it.

Joel

      From: Dan Goncharoff <thegonch at GMAIL.COM>
 To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
 Sent: Friday, July 17, 2015 2:32 PM
 Subject: [ADS-L] Fwd: "Born in" vs. "second-generation"

I immediately understood it as "children of people born in Africa". This is
confirmed in the NBA press release:

http://www.nba.com/2015/news/07/16/nba-africa-game-2015-official-release/

...Al-Farouq Aminu (Portland Trail Blazers; U.S.; parents from Nigeria),
Giannis Antetokounmpo (Milwaukee Bucks; Greece; parents from Nigeria),
Nicolas Batum (Charlotte Hornets; France; parent from Cameroon)...

This is an unusual twist on the concept of "second-generation": it's a
second-generation emigrant, rather than a second-generation immigrant.

DanG