[Ads-l] an early "high fluting" (1838)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jul 18 22:00:00 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jul 18, 2015 at 4:48 PM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu>
wrote:

> 1836   U.S. Songster 216,   I play upon de cymbal an I makes de handsome =
> sound, I's a high feluting nigger dat dey calls Jim Brown.

I don't know. It already seems to have the current meaning to me, in this
example. OTOH, the playing of hand-made fifes, together with what I term
"neo-African" drumming - the drums used are the ordinary bass drums, trap
drums, snare drums, etc. commonly used by ordinary marching bands and not
the stereotypically Afro-Cuban congas, tumbaos, bongos, etc. of known
African origin - is a tradition that has continued, unabated, to the
present day, in the wilds of the Deepest South.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5dVXEjLatc
--
-Wilson
-----