[Ads-l] "split of a three-game series"

Geoffrey Nunberg nunberg at ISCHOOL.BERKELEY.EDU
Tue Jul 21 04:13:38 UTC 2015

A propos (well, not really), the discussion puts me in mind of a story Peter Trudgill tells, which I mentioned on Language Log back in 2004. Peter was visiting Cleveland and saw this on the sports page of the Plain Dealer:

TRIBE HOMER BARRAGE SALVAGES SPLIT
Peter said he took the page back with him to Reading and posted it on the door of his office, challenging the students in the linguistics program to decipher it (or even confidently identify the verb). He told me he had no takers

Geoff