[Ads-l] Investigate quote? "better that ten guilty persons escape than one innocent person be convicted"

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Wed Jul 22 16:49:14 UTC 2015

Thanks, Garson.

Joel

      From: ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM>
 To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
 Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2015 1:48 AM
 Subject: Re: [ADS-L] Investigate quote? "better that ten guilty persons escape than one innocent person be convicted"

Here are two pertinent quotations from Fred's Yale Book of Quotations.
(The quotations from Franklin and Voltaire that I am omitting are also
relevant.)

[Begin excerpt]
John Fortescue
English judge, ca. 1394–ca. 1476

I should, indeed, prefer twenty guilty men to escape death through
mercy, than one innocent to be condemned unjustly.

De Laudibus Legum Angliae ch. 27 (ca. 1470)
See Blackstone 7; Benjamin Franklin 37; Voltaire 3
[End excerpt]

[Begin excerpt]
William Blackstone
English jurist, 1723–1780

All presumptive evidence of felony should be admitted cautiously; for
the law holds, that it is better that ten guilty persons escape, than
that one innocent suffer.

Commentaries on the Laws of England bk. 4, ch. 27
(1769)
See Fortescue 1; Benjamin Franklin 37; Voltaire 3
[End excerpt]

I can see several other instances that conform to the adage template,
but the ratio specified varies. Early English Books Online has an
instance dated 1681 that states: "better that a Thousand persons that
are Guilty should escape, than that one Innocent person should die".

I only have access to openly released material in the EEBO database.
So I cannot evaluate some matches. There are also multiple matches in
the 1700s in Google Books.

Year: 1681
Title: The tryal of William Viscount Stafford for high treason in
conspiring the death of the King, the extirpation of the Protestant
religion. . .