[Ads-l] air gap, air-gapped

Hugo hugovk at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 30 20:06:32 UTC 2015

"Air-gapped" computers or networks date to at least 2000 in Usenet, with a
possible 1998 on a webpage and a possible 1996 book. "Air gap" is at least
1999 in Usenet.

---

AIR-GAPPED

Phil Stopford, "Re: Whacked out LW experiments", 2000-Jan-12,
comp.graphics.apps.lightwave:

[Begin]
I'll wait and stick with trusted NT 4 for a while yet.....since we are
air-gapped, then security from outside attack is less of an issue and
placing extra demands on the systems from the bloated Win2K distribution
would seem to be unjustified.
[End]

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/comp.graphics.apps.lightwave/MRQ7t9OJzb8/H-cvFpERDYwJ

Phil Stopford, "Re: Whacked out LW experiments", 2000-Jan-13,
comp.graphics.apps.lightwave:

[Begin]
Besides, the point stands that Win 2K had a poor record of application
compatability earlier in its life, provides no real benefits for us here
since security is not a major problem on an air-gapped network with no
external access at all (just to emphasise the point) and could really do
with testing by the general public at large.
[End]

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/comp.graphics.apps.lightwave/MRQ7t9OJzb8/G7yBz95Iu-4J

---

A possible 1998:

Access Control and System Audit Based on "Patient-Doctor Relation and
Clinical Situation" Model, Dr. Yasuyuki Hirose, uploaded 1998.7.24:

[Begin]
The HIS has some subsystem but the network of the HIS is air-gapped from
the campus network or from Internet.
[End]

http://wayback.archive.org/web/20040713181822/http://www.hosp.u-ryukyu.ac.jp/medi/yh/pap/MdInf98_487.html

---

A possible 1996:

Cyberwar: Security, Strategy, and Conflict in the Information Age, ALAN D
AUTOR CAMPEN, DOUGLAS H AUTOR DEARTH, R. THOMAS AUTOR GOODDEN, Afcea
International Press, 1996:

[Begin]
 To start with the obvious, a computer system that receives no input
whatsoever from the outside world ("air-gapped") cannot be broken into (and
no, one cannot spray a virus into the air in the hopes that it acquires it).
[End]

https://books.google.com/books?id=78MgAQAAIAAJ

---

AIR GAP

Nigel Charlton, "Re: How do I transfer data to UNIX or NT", 1999-Dec-09,
comp.sys.amiga.misc:

[Begin]
Unfortunately due to security reasons I am unable to network the
machines - an air gap has to remain!
[End]

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/comp.sys.amiga.misc/KB2C1--xfwA/X90IFlyAK4UJ

---