[Ads-l] 9to5Mac: "salty" in the wild, by coinkidink

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 5 22:38:00 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jun 5, 2015 at 4:14 PM, Z Rice <zrice3714 at gmail.com> wrote:

> my father has heard it since he was a child

How old is your father and where is he from? I'm 78 and from East Texas, as
was my mother, and my father, b.1903, was from western Alabama. My mother
and her women-friends used "holler" as it's used in current rap/hip-hop,
but not my grandparents or any of their friends or any of my friends,
whether boys or girls. We used it in its literal meaning of actually
shouting at someone, in games: "All that ain't hid, holler 'eyeball'!," and
in sayings like, "If you're black, sometimes, you just got to holler." But
things like, "Holler at me!", "I'll holler at you!", "Holler back!", or
just "Holler!" meaning things like, "Give me a jingle!", "I'll drop by your
house," "I'll call you!", "Call me back!" - that was the way that "Mother
Dear" talked to her friends. A difference in personal experience may
account for this difference of opinion.

Or maybe we're simply talking about two different uses of "holler," since a
slave didn't even leave his home slave-labor camp, let alone have a friend
so far away that hollering would be necessary to get his attention. Except
when at work in the mines, cotton fields, rice fields, sugarcane fields,
indigo fields, tobacco fields, turpentine camps, etc., of course.
--
-Wilson
-----