[Ads-l] "The race is not to the swift..."

Sat Jun 6 00:31:30 UTC 2015

Back in 2013 JL mentioned an anti-proverb that was constructed by
spinning a verse from Ecclesiastes:

The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but
that is the way to bet.

YBQ has an entry. Barry Popik posted an entry in 2009, and I posted a
message to the list in 2011. Nigel Rees mentioned it in the July 2014
issue of "The Quote Unquote Newsletter"

Now there is a 2,610 word post on this topic that includes some new
material, e.g., precursor cites in 1833 and 1861; a cite in a booklet
issued in 1912 upon the death of Hugh E. Keough.

The Race Is Not Always to the Swift, Nor the Battle to the Strong; But
That Is the Best Way to Bet
http://quoteinvestigator.com/2015/06/04/race-swift/

Garson