[Ads-l] Pills, excrescent <-s> in nicknames addendum

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 9 19:34:23 UTC 2015

An old military and naval nickname, orig. applied to a surgeon or physician:

1835 _Military & Naval Mag. of the U.S._. (Jan.) 357: Pills, why don't you
buy more vegetables?

1845, in Oelschlaeger Reveille 62: The doctor was irreverently called "Old
Pills" by the students.

1847 Downey _Cruise of 'Portsmouth'_ 31: Pills slept on...quiet and
undisturbed.

Etc, etc.

"Pill-roller" was also common.

My OED link isn't working, so I don't know what they've got on the subject.

JL