[Ads-l] Butch Dykeman and Miss Gay (UNCLASSIFIED)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 9 19:44:07 UTC 2015

It is not certain that Hammett meant "catamite" at all.

HDAS:

The earliest ex. (1910) clearly means "boy or raw youth."

"Catamite" appears in 1918.

"A stupid or contemptible fellow," 1932.

"Gunman," 1943.

A WW2 navy officer  told me in a bar (really) in the early '70s that he'd
frequently used it to mean a useless sailor because - wait for it - "a gun
*has* no sail." He spelled it "guns'l."

JL