[Ads-l] intrusive "of" intrudes further

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Jun 11 19:37:24 UTC 2015

OK, that makes more sense to me.  I did turn up a few examples of "don't know how X of the Y" but they were much rarer and more awkward sounding.

Hopefully, this informative article will enable you to know how large of the impact this disorder causes and what you can do to assist.
I don't know how large of the magnets I need
I don't know how large of the group shot you do
Then, I would know how good of the deal this is.
Through that, we will partly know how big of the market and also the competitor
To know how big of the ac you want, search for a calculator online.
Now that I know how big of the difference there is, I am not even sure I would ever want to listen to iPod at home

These would all sound much more natural to me with "a(n)" than "the" (and changing the plural to singular when necessary). To anticipate Jerry Cohen, the last example might be seen as a blend of "how big of a difference there is" and "how big the difference is".

LH