[Ads-l] fines for saying "you guys" to mixed groups?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 11 23:28:14 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 6:46 PM, Geoffrey Nunberg <
nunberg at ischool.berkeley.edu> quoted:

> "We didn't invent the idea, though I'm not sure where we first heard about
> it," reads the company's explanation on Tumblr. "But the idea is: if you
> believe that using the word 'guys' to describe a mixed-gender group of
> individuals is creeping sexism, and are trying to eliminate that word from
> your casual use, you put a dollar in the jar every time you do it
> accidentally."

What if you don't believe that using the word "guys" to describe a
mixed-gender group of individuals is creeping sexism, and are not trying to
eliminate that word from your casual use?

What do you do every time that you do it on purpose?

Will "y'all"/"you"/"you-all" be included, if there are women in the group
whose birth-language is a Semitic - or should that be "Semetic"? - language?

Will the "nigger" excuse be allowed into play?

When I use "you guys," Mary, I don't intend it to reference well-educated,
job-holding, classy woman-Americans like you, of course. I apply it only to
unmarried mothers, bag-ladies, school-teachers, welfare-queens, and other
such embarrassments to your gender. You'll agree with me on that, I'm sure.

--
-Wilson
-----