[Ads-l] fines for saying "you guys" to mixed groups?

W Brewer brewerwa at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 12 18:11:16 UTC 2015

Reflecting back on a misguided youth, there were several contexts in which
a group of males were addressed as <girls>, by coaches and drill sergeants,
clearly as a goad to more macho performance. But I can see this as a
starting point for a more evolved neutering of the conundrum. Just as
certain publications insist on a balanced third person gender distribution
(he/she), we can sometimes address plural groups as <you guys> and other
times as <you girls>. What do you girls think of this idea?