[Ads-l] "Great toe" [was: A couple of first-heards]

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Tue Jun 16 12:42:07 UTC 2015

Wilson, surely you remember hearing the line in "Coriolanus" --

a1616   Shakespeare Coriolanus (1623) i. i. 153   What do you thinke? You, the great Toe of this Assembly?

Well, I forgive you -- nor do I.  But I'm sure I read or heard it at least once somewhere.

P.S.  One of only two quotations in the OED2, the other being 1741.  But common enough in medical books, whose authors presumably consider themselves too adult to write "big toe".

Joel

      From: Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
 To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
 Sent: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 12:05 AM
 Subject: [ADS-L] A couple of first-heards

Heard on medical reality-TV show from Louisville:

Grandmother: "She gave me my first _grandboy_!

Doctor            : "His _great toe_ presents as gangrenous."

"Grandboy" is in at least four on-line dictionaries, but I haven't heard it
or read it, before.

Naturally, I'm quite familiar with "great toe," but this is the first that
I've ever heard anyone actually say it.

--
-Wilson
-----