[Ads-l] The Stainless Steel Banner

GUY LETOURNEAU Owner guy1656 at CENTURYLINK.NET
Tue Jun 23 17:52:33 UTC 2015

The story I heard in the compromise move to take the Confederate flag off the SC capitol building
was that there are Confederate war dead under those grounds and that the flag was moved closer to their resting place,
making that flag pole and its vicinity a war memorial.

- GLL

------
If you think that's a reach, try North Carolina....

Much of this argument strikes me as offensively patronizing. The case of
South Carolina was egregious: the battle flag went up over the State House
in 1961 as a protest against the Civil Rights Movement. That was back when
Strom "Dixiecrat" Thurmond was a U.S. Senator. Some years ago an attempt
was made to remove the flag, which ended in the compromise that it would
not be flown over the House, but must continue to be flown in the grounds.

Wikipedia doesn't seem to cover these events, so I'm relying in CNN.

That's an actual Confederate flag, not a design perhaps suggested by it (or
vaguely suggesting it). And regardless of the Civil War, it was placed
there as an intentional affront to black people and the federal government.
Within living memory.

JL