[Ads-l] "Caucus" and the OED -- a new speculation about etymology [Was: Corkass [caucus] 1763 "...should give the etymology...but"]

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Wed Jun 24 19:54:42 UTC 2015

Comments interspersed.

      From: Stephen Goranson <goranson at DUKE.EDU>
 To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
 Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 5:51 AM
 Subject: Re: [ADS-L] "Caucus" and the OED -- a new speculation about etymology [Was: Corkass [caucus] 1763 "...should give the etymology...but"]

"The celebrated Dr. Bentley, an enthusiastic admirer of the two Elisha Cookes, fancied that the word Caucus was derived from Cooke's-house, in which popular meetings were frequent.*" [The house location is given in the footnote.]
A Memoir Biographical and Genealogical of Sir John Leverett...by C. E. Leverett (Boston, 1856) p. 97. I guess the celebrated one is William Bentley, D.D. (1759-1819).

JSB:  No doubt, although from what I know about him I can't speak for his politics.

If this proposal is correct, then some of the many spellings may be, in part, intentionally obscure...?
I now see (not surprisingly in this case) that the 1763 Corkass article had been noticed before, in 2013, here:
http://allthingsliberty.com/2013/11/birth-caucus/
There J. L. Bell gives several etymology proposals--including Cooke's house--but rejects them.  "All of those theories about “caucus” fail because the word started out as “corcas” and gained its current form only after being filtered through Boston accents." He apparently claims that the 1760 spelling of corcas is the correct and original one. It is the earliest presently known for sure (i.e. if Cooke's house is discounted as not proven), but it seems to me a faulty assumption that corcas must be the original.

JSB:  Given what I know about spelling in the Boston newspapers of the 18th century, I'd trust John Adams ("caucus").  But I don't know of any evidence that favors any one of the three 1760s spellings.
Anyway, aren't Bostonians a-rhotic?  :-)

Joel

Stephen Goranson
http://people.duke.edu/~goranson/