[Ads-l] Halving the flat (berries)

Fri Jun 26 21:13:38 UTC 2015

My mother reported a few weeks ago that when buying strawberries for
strawberry shortcake dinner night, she asked for a flat and got a
half-flat. When she pointed that out, the vendor told her that people
usually want a half-flat when they ask for a flat.

The Oxford Dictionary site
(https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/flat,
https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/american_english/flat#flat) has:

_North American_ A shallow container in which seedlings are grown and sold.

Wiktionary (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/flat#Noun) has:

A wide, shallow container / a flat of strawberries

I don't think that seedlings can cover berries, so I think that part of
the Oxford definition needs updating, and neither definition provides
the size. I know a flat to have 12 pints of berries (see
http://abt.cm/1LLgp1v, where the word "tray" is also used to mean
"flat"), typically overflowing, and Googling images of "flat of
strawberries" generally confirms that.

By looking through the pictures, however, you can find pictures that
appears to be six-pint "flats," but it's hard to be sure (see
http://bit.ly/1Hl9tdC). I did find a tantalizing meta-comment on the
matter at http://bit.ly/1e8Qg1A:

A Strawberry Kind of Day
by Garden Gnome

=====
A flat of strawberries now contains 6 quarts of strawberries.
=====

The Garden Gnome claims that a flat has six quarts, but looking at the
picture, it appears that they mean six pints, which would make sense
since six quarts equals 12 pints and only an interpretation of "pints"
would make this sentence worthy of stating.

In addition to strawberries, of course, blueberries, blackberries,
Tayberries and raspberries, at least, come in flats and half-flats.

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA

Learn Ainu! https://sites.google.com/site/aynuitak1/home