[Ads-l] Yale Grammatical Diversity Project - Slate

Theresa Fisher fisher.theresa at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 30 18:26:14 UTC 2015

Hi -

I'm a journalist writing a short piece on topics/concerns that people say
"keeps them up at night," and was wondering if anyone had insight on the
phrase's etymology or evolution of usage. Also, I'd be curious to learn
more about the phrase "lose sleep over," which I believe (but am not sure)
comes from "Lion doesn't lose sleep over opinion of sheep."

Thanks!

On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 12:04 PM, Benjamin Barrett <gogaku at ix.netcom.com>
wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Benjamin Barrett <gogaku at IX.NETCOM.COM>
> Subject:      Re: Yale Grammatical Diversity Project - Slate

> Perhaps it was intended as an exercise on grammatical diversity. BB
>
> > Joel Berson <mailto:berson at ATT.NET>
> > June 30, 2015 at 6:51 AM
> -----------------------
> > Sender:       American Dialect Society<ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > Poster:       Joel Berson<berson at ATT.NET>
> > Subject:      Re: Yale Grammatical Diversity Project - Slate

> > It came out that way to me, although I too had to decode it and had a
> momen=
> > t of difficulty with the "or just wrong".
> >
> > Joel

Theresa Fisher
fisher.theresa at gmail.com
914 500 3434