[Ads-l] "borne" = "given birth to by" -- archaic?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Mar 5 14:51:46 UTC 2015

In a report about the day of opening statements
at the trial of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the lead
defense attorney, as quoted by the New York
Times, said he was led on "a path borne of his
brother, created by his brother and paved by his brother."

I would expect the spelling "born".  The OED
"Forms" for "bear, v.1" confuse me.  They show
"Pa. pple. borne , born", but also say "17–18
borne, born differentiated" (differentiated for what?).

I don't know whether the spelling comes from a
transcript of the defense lawyer's statement or
from one of the two NYT reporters.

Joel