[Ads-l] Quote: The world is divided into people who do things and people who get the credit. Try . . .

Thu Mar 12 16:44:11 UTC 2015

Back in November 2013 I posted about a quotation that is often
attributed to Indira Gandhi. Stephen and Fred helped me to verify some
citations.

This post is an update. Recently, I came across another citation
suggesting that the diplomat Dwight Morrow may have crafted the adage.
Here is link to the updated entry on the Quote Investigator website:

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/11/20/work-credit/

Here is the information about the 1935 citation which I verified in a
1975 reprint edition:

[ref] 1975 (Copyright 1935), Dwight Morrow by Harold Nicolson, Quote
Page 51 and 52, Series: Wall Street and the Security Markets,
Published by Arno Press, New York. (Reprint of 1935 Harcourt, Brace
and Company, New York edition)(Verified on paper)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
"The world," he once wrote to his son, "is divided into people who do
things and people who get the credit. Try, if you can, to belong to
the first class. There's far less competition."
[End excerpt]

Garson