[Ads-l] "the trots (a British colloquialism for diarrhea)" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mullins, Bill CIV (US) william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL
Wed Mar 18 14:17:38 UTC 2015

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

> The Google Books database contains a book published in 2014 that claims
> to be a diary of a cowboy in Kansas in 1868.The date of diary entry
> containing the phrase "the trots" is not visible in the preview.
> The date on the next diary entry was Wednesday, September 2, 1868.
>
> Year: 2014
> Title: A Texas Cowboy's Journal: Up the Trail to Kansas in 1868
> Author: Jack Bailey
> Quote Page 37
> Publisher: University of Oklahoma Press, Norman, Oklahoma
> Database: Google Books Preview
>
> https://books.google.com/books?id=kg8FBAAAQBAJ&q=trots#v=snippet&
>
> [Begin excerpt]
> All very hungry + tired. Had no salt to put on our little yearling.
> Broiled it. The more we cooked it the biger it got. Eat it half done +
> the consequence was all had the trots all night. Had a big laugh at
> camp next morning.
> [End excerpt]

The excerpt is visible in Amazon's "look inside" viewer.  The date of this entry is 9/1/1868.

There is a later entry, for which the date cannot be seen, that goes: "Just as we got in town three or four of the children took the trots."