[Ads-l] Quote: We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others by their acts

Fri Mar 20 11:51:31 UTC 2015

A quotation trace/analysis for the statement in the subject line is
now available on the Quote Investigator website. There are two parts:

We Are Too Prone to Judge Ourselves by Our Ideals and Other People by Their Acts
http://quoteinvestigator.com/2015/03/19/judge-others/

We Judge Ourselves by What We Feel Capable of Doing, While Others
Judge Us by What We Have Already Done
http://quoteinvestigator.com/2015/03/17/judge-self/

The trace begins in 1836. Here is a summary of the shifting vocabulary:

    1836 motives / actions
    1885 intentions / doings
    1892 intentions / actions
    1909 motives / acts