[Ads-l] siftless

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Mon Mar 30 03:44:47 UTC 2015

--

I suspect not unrelated.

I suppose the phrase is based on the understanding that there is a
loathsome disease named "siftless", this word originally being
"syphilis", transmitted [the word, that is] orally.

A few decades ago I heard lay discussions of sexually transmitted
diseases which included (in addition to "the clap" and "the crabs") "the
syph" (/sIf/) which was (in my hearing) sometimes pronounced "the sift"
(/sIft/). (I don't recall hearing "siftless" though.)

I suppose the intention is/was to bracket whatever is being derogated
(i.e., "shit") between two words which themselves have negative denotations.

-- Doug Wilson