[Ads-l] to "question"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Mar 30 18:33:56 UTC 2015

> On Mar 30, 2015, at 11:56 AM, Cohen, Gerald Leonard <gcohen at MST.EDU> wrote:
>

> Looks like a blend: "The government does not question the accuracy of the information"

But why not "The government does not question whether the information is accurate", which is a lot closer to the syntax of the sentence uttered?  And if it's a blend, it's a well-established one; examples of "X do(es) not question that Y" with exactly this sense (expressing doubts as to whether Y is the case, not necessarily denying, or attempting to deny, that Y is the case) are very easy to attest.  I find blend analyses more appealing for one-off structures.

LH