[Ads-l] “generic descriptive terms”

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 8 15:54:22 UTC 2015

That's too bad. I've always felt a little frisson of pride upon hearing a
mention of "St. Louis encephalitis" or of "Texas fever" on, e.g. Mystery
Diagnosis, especially since "Middle Eastern respiratory syndrome" is
referred to as simply "MERS."

I wonder how horses in this part of the country are going to feel about
losing "eastern equine encephalitis"?

On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 10:34 AM, Dan Goncharoff <thegonch at gmail.com> wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Dan Goncharoff <thegonch at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      =?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=9Cgeneric_descriptive_terms=E2=80=9D?=

> http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2015/05/08/who-don-t-name-diseases-afte=
> r-animals.html
>
> Complete item:
> Don=E2=80=99t call it Spanish flu. The World Health Organization issued
> gui=
> delines
> Friday that caution against naming diseases after places, people, or
> animals, for fear that such names will bring stigma. Citing Middle Eastern
> Respiratory Syndrome and swine flu as examples, the agency recommended that
> names be =E2=80=9Cgeneric descriptive terms=E2=80=9D instead.
>
> DanG

-Wilson
-----
-Mark Twain