[Ads-l] W:pedia: "Carry on, Sergeant" is a normal expression for an Army officer to use; ...

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 11 11:48:11 UTC 2015

Interestingly enough, OED has "as you were" as a drill-field command from
1625.

But its first transparent example of the sense discussed here is not until
1992.

In a Civil War novel.

(1680 is surely just a grammatical artifact? 1864 comes close, but no
cigar.)

JL