[Ads-l] intestinal/testicular fortitude (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mullins, Bill CIV (US) william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL
Mon May 11 22:07:50 UTC 2015

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

OED has "bust a gut" from 1912

23 Sep 1847 Concord NH _New Hampshire Patriot and State Gazette_ p 4 col 4
"He had an idee that he was born to do sumthing desperate, so he was continually a drivin after some newfangled kink to make people talk about him, or bust a gut."

31 Jan 1855; Clearfield PA _Raftsman's Journal_ p 2 col 5
"Be cautious, 'Bobby,' dear, or you might bust a gut."

Ben has a 4/4/1974 citation from _Jet_ magazine for "testicular fortitude"; it appears in a syndicated newspaper column on 4/2/1974 in several papers.

Ben's first cite for "intestinal fortitude" is 3/27/1921.  I looked in genealogybank and it appears the cite should be 3/17/1921.