[Ads-l] Gender-neutral pronouns was :Mx to be sanctified by the OED

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Tue May 12 00:29:05 UTC 2015

By personal adoption, rather than by someone else's application.  If a person who identifies herself as female can choose Ms or Mrs as she pleases, a person who is transgender can choose the transgender title Mx.

      From: Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
 To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
 Sent: Monday, May 11, 2015 4:34 PM
 Subject: Re: [ADS-L] Gender-neutral pronouns was :Mx to be sanctified by the OED

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 8:06 AM, Amy West <medievalist at w-sts.com> quoted:

> If Mx can be applied to transgender people, a better pronunciation would
> be "mix".

I agree, but... How can Mx be "applied" to transgender people, unless you
know which people are transgender? Will transgender people be wearing
special badges, for instance, to identify themselves to the general public
as special people requiring special treatment? Not every transgender person
is both a gold-medal-winning Olympic athlete and the stepparent of the
woman with the most famous arse in the English-speaking world.

I can relate to the problem. Where would we colored people be, after all,
had not God/evolution blessed/provided us with a number of natural features
as forms of ID that are immediately recognizable on sight, in most cases?

Youneverknow.

--
-Wilson
-----