[Ads-l] A "kiss-this-guy" kind of mishearing (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 15 22:32:10 UTC 2015

On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 11:02 AM, Mullins, Bill CIV (US) <
william.d.mullins18.civ at mail.mil> wrote:

> I wish you hadn't posted this, Wilson.  The opening bars of "Searchin'"
> remind me of the Oak Ridge Boys hit "Elvira", and I can't get that song out
> of my head.  Classic Earworm.

Nobody ever explained it to me that way, before, and, now that you have, I
agree with you entirely! Fortunately, "Elvira" is one of my jams, since it
reminds me of a grade-school classmate that I had a crush on. Mildly
embarrassingly, I thought that her name was "Elmira," for quite some time.
Then, when I found out the correct pronunciation, I had a real problem with
el-VI-ra. It struck me as *weird*, somehow. Yet, el-MI-ra has always seemed
OK.

Youneverknow.

--
-Wilson