[Ads-l] Berraisms?

Tue May 19 18:43:07 UTC 2015

Excellent question about Yogiisms, Joel. Most of the expressions in
the Boston Globe article have been explored on the Quote Investigator
website. Links are given further below.

I had assumed that "Thank you for making this day necessary" had
already been thoroughly examined. But looking now it appears that
advances are possible. "The Yale Book of Quotations" has a 1967
citation for an instance together with Yogi's assertion in "The Yogi
Book" (1998) that he said it in 1947. A preliminary search reveals
that a version was credited to Bucky Harris by 1947 and to Yogi by
1948.

It Ain't Over Till It's Over
I have researched the above saying, but have not yet written an entry.
There is already valuable material available from Charlie and Fred who
have an entry for "It's not over till it's over (The game is not over
till it is over)" on page 186 of "The Dictionary of Modern Proverbs",
and Barry Popik has a valuable entry for "It ain't over 'til it's
over" on his website:

http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/it_aint_over_til_its_over

So I'm Ugly. So What? I Never Saw Anyone Hit with His Face
http://quoteinvestigator.com/2012/11/21/never-with-face/

Nobody Goes There Anymore, It's Too Crowded
http://quoteinvestigator.com/2014/08/29/too-crowded/

When You Come to a Fork in the Road, Take It
http://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/07/25/fork-road/

It's Deja Vu All Over Again
http://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/10/08/deja-vu-again/

Garson