[Ads-l] "hafu"

Geoffrey Steven Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Sat May 30 20:43:52 UTC 2015

Hapa Haole music (Hawaiian-influenced melodies with English words) were popular from the 1920's, and, some would say, continue today. Famous examples include 'My Little Grass Shack' and 'Lovely Hula Hands'. The latter is sung by authentic contemporary Hawaiian singers also (the Cazimero Brothers, for example).

The concept is contested--there are some political forces that don't approve of it. I'll leave that issue to others--I love all Hawaiian music, myself, having lived there during the early flowering of the revival in the seventies. I actually saw Iz before he was famous.

Geoff

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT
and Professor, Linguistics Program
http://blogs.wayne.edu/proftech/
+1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT)

Nobody at Wayne State will EVER ask you for your password. Never send it to anyone in an email, no matter how authentic the email looks.