[Ads-l] query on -s truncation

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Sun May 31 15:22:30 UTC 2015

Should this discussion distinguish between written abbreviations and oral truncations?  I wonder whether Charles F. Lummis was actually called "Chas".
Joel     From: ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM>
 To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
 Sent: Sunday, May 31, 2015 11:11 AM
 Subject: Re: [ADS-L] query on -s truncation

Serendipitously I re-encountered an abbreviation that apparently
follows the pattern under discussion in the naming domain:

Charles => Chas.
Charles F. Lummis => Chas. F Lummis

[ref] 1900, September-October, The Land of Sunshine: The Magazine of
California and the West, Edited by Chas. F. Lummis, Volume 13, Number
4, In the Lion's Den by Chas. F. Lummis, Start Page 291, Quote Page
292, The Land of Sunshine Publishing Co., Los Angeles, California.
(Google Books Full View) link [/ref]

https://books.google.com/books?id=YUI1AQAAMAAJ&

Garson