[Ads-l] News: Harvard digitizing its entire collection of U.S. case law

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Mon Nov 2 21:32:53 UTC 2015

Garson,

Thanks for your characteristically thoughtful posting.  I'm sorry I can't be that helpful in responding.

My role with regard to the "Making of Modern Law" digital legal history resources is to conceive of and plan the modules, select the precise titles that will be digitized, coordinate the involvement of the participating libraries, coordinate Yale's contributions, and assist with marketing and problem-solving.  The commercial vendor whom we partner with and who produces and markets the product handles the technological details, and I am very ignorant of those details.

Fred Shapiro

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf of ADSGarson O'Toole [adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM]
Sent: Sunday, November 01, 2015 7:45 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: News: Harvard digitizing its entire collection of U.S. case law

Thank you very much for your response, Fred.

In the past there have been important proprietary scanning techniques
known to some organizations and not to others, I think. Perhaps that
is no longer true.

For example, the detailed scanning methods used in the Google Books
project were not divulged initially. NPR has an article from 2009
about a Google patent for a book scanning mechanism that employed an
array of cameras which included an infrared camera.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.npr.org_sections_library_2009_04_the-5Fgranting-5Fof-5Fpatent-5F7508978.html&d=AwIBaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=sRkhHMQo6W5Ird1lkQFqb23bCfSHAR2XjUSUG53db5M&m=fhLjtmE3PdYsH4gtdUx353TCYxiA-FuEpmnrKMjVU6U&s=VHP-YmbgVWIalDGr0mDiEa2HFu-nw-ZM4_CDjZ8v7yw&e=

It was not necessary to physically flatten pages because they could be
flattened via mathematical transformations based on the curvatures
calculated from the camera images and the IR data. I do not know if GB
type scanning machines are available to non-Google projects.

Two weeks ago I was in the genealogy section of the main branch of the
Jacksonville, Florida library and they had a simpler version of this
type of scanner. It seemed to have just one camera or multiple cameras
closely spaced. To scan a book you opened it up and placed it on a
contoured plate beneath the camera head. It was not necessary to
completely flatten the pages.

For the GB project a human flips each page, and human hands are
visible in some GB images. Yet, I have seen videos of machines that
are capable of flipping individual book pages. Perhaps, Google was not
satisfied with that technology in the early days of the GB project. I
do not know if this task has been automated in 2015.

Fred, perhaps you could share the methods used at Yale. Do the Google
patents reduce the efficacy of non-destructive scanners that are not
created by Google? Do humans flip individual pages?

Garson