[Ads-l] What's etymology of 'boogeyman'?

Paul A Johnston, Jr paul.johnston at WMICH.EDU
Thu Nov 5 15:58:29 UTC 2015

"Boogeyman" isn't in OED, but the related "bogie" 1 is, as are "bogle", "boggart", "bug"1.  There is some uncertainty here, but the most probable etymology comes from Welsh "bwg" /bug/ which means a terrifying object or spirit.  There's a possible Germanic etymon too, but the evidence for a Welsh derivation looks better (to me).

Paul Johnston