[Ads-l] NYimes.com: "non(-)plused"

Fri Nov 6 12:32:05 UTC 2015

The sometimes reliable Wikipedia has an article on auto-antonyms, the
most dangerous words in the English language:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto-antonym

[Begin excerpt]
An auto-antonym (sometimes spelled autantonym), or contronym (also
spelled contranym), is a word with a homograph (another word of the
same spelling) which is also an antonym (a word with the opposite
meaning). An auto-antonym is alternatively called an antagonym, Janus
word (after the Roman god), enantiodrome, self-antonym, antilogy, or
addad (Arabic, singular didd).
[End excerpt]

Here is the pertinent example for this discussion thread:

[Begin excerpt]
"Nonplussed" can mean "baffled" or "perplexed", but in North America
can also mean "not disconcerted" or "unperturbed".
[End excerpt]

This Wikipedia article must have some value because I see now that
reference number 5 points to my website!?!

Garson