[Ads-l] Retronym: to eye-read

Charles C Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Fri Nov 6 12:55:25 UTC 2015

I remember back in the early '90s (or so) I occasionally heard a teenager ask another teenager if she had SEEN such-and-such a song, meaning 'experienced the song as a "music video" on MTV'.

--Charlie

---
Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Retronym: to eye-read

> On Nov 5, 2015, at 4:25 PM, Chris Waigl <chris at LASCRIBE.NET> wrote:
>=20
> I hang out on a forum sometimes where people mention what books they =
are reading. One member just posted (spelling etc. not corrected by me):
>=20
>> I eye-read =93After You=94 by Jojo Moyes - and oh what a =
disappointment after loving =93Me After You.=94 So glad I got the book =
from the library and didn=92t waste an audible credit on it.
>=20
>=20
> The reference to Audible should make it clear that eye-reading is =
meant in contrast to listening to an audiobook.

Yes, I think it must.  Very nice.

> As this is a group of knitters primarily (rather than, say, a book =
club), audiobooks are probably more common in the mentions of recent =
books read, given that most combine knitting with the enjoyment of =
spoken-word entertainment.=20
>=20
> And this is while there=92s still controversy in other quarters =
whether listening to an audiobook qualifies as reading=85
>=20
> Chris

But they always tell me at the end of the Playaway or last CD "Thank you =
for being an Audiobooks reader" so it must qualify as reading.  ;-)

LH