[Ads-l] like, interj., redux

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Mon Nov 9 18:57:24 UTC 2015

About 20 years ago I was riding in a car with a teenager who used "like" a lot.  She couldn't escape me for a while, so I started interjecting "like" into my speech.  She soon said to me something like, "You don't talk like that, Joel!"  But she was so non-plussed that she abandoned the habit.  And now she is a licensed social worker who has just been hired as an adjunct instructor at Simmons College.

Joel
      From: Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>
 To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
 Sent: Monday, November 9, 2015 12:05 PM
 Subject: [ADS-L] like, interj., redux

Remember when teens were scored and scorned for using interjectional "like"
in sentences?

Well, they're still doing it! (I mean different teens.)

Just heard a high-schooler from Colorado say "like" no less than *10* times
in two sentences on CNN. I re-ran the clip to count 'em.

They were kind of long sentences, though.