[Ads-l] "running the gambit" in the wild

Tue Nov 10 16:21:49 UTC 2015

Below is a citation displaying the gambit/gamut confusion (with the
phrase "ran the gambit") in a newspaper in Kentucky in 1957. Some
prescriptivists would reject this use with cool disdain and some
descriptivists would record it without judgement. (Shallow search: I
only searched for the exact target phrase "ran the gambit" in two
databases.)

Date: May 24, 1957
Newspaper: Lexington Herald
Newspaper Location: Lexington, Kentucky
Article: Salvation Army Band Praised For 'Brilliant' Concert Here
Quote Page 25, Column 3
Database: GenealogyBank

[Begin excerpt]
In the one familiar number, a medley of Tschaikovsky numbers entitled
"Moments With Tschaikovsky" and arranged by Bramwell Coles, the band
ran the gambit from the slow and lovely melodies and harmonies of
"Songs without Words" and ."Chanson Triste" to the brilliant technical
display in the "Finale" to the "Fourth Symphony."
[End excerpt]

Garson