[Ads-l] [Marketing Mail] Re: 26 Names That Didn't Exist Before 2000

Cleve Evans cevans at BELLEVUE.EDU
Thu Nov 12 17:08:45 UTC 2015

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
Subject:      Re: 26 Names That Didn't Exist Before 2000

> On Nov 11, 2015, at 9:50 AM, Amy West <medievalist at W-STS.COM> wrote:
>=20
> My limited thoughts on this:
>=20
> 1) BS
>=20
> 2) Wow, Netscape is still around?

Hah!  Yeah, I wondered about that too.
>=20
> and
>=20
> 3) I have never understood why people think that spelling "Heaven" =
backwards as a name ("Nevaeh") would be a good thing: Aren't things = spelled backwards bad things? Wouldn't that be a really good name for a = Satanist kid?

I think the way to go is to spell "Hell" backwards, which must be a good = thing.  "Lleh" has a nice ring to it too--sort of like the Welsh version = of "meh".

LH

I realize you all may be joking, but of course there really is no more logic in thinking a backspelling should have a reverse meaning than in thinking it should have the same meaning.  "Dog" and "God" and "stop" and "pots" are neither antonyms nor synonyms.

The original list treats every different spelling as a different names, just like the original data set does. And the claim that most of these "basically didn't exist before 2000" is of course hyperbole.

Bentley may be way more common now than it's ever been before (sadly, because of a baby on the "reality" TV show "Teen Mom"), but there certainly have been a few men named Bentley for years. In terms of fictional characters, is anyone else here old enough to remember Bentley Gregg, the playboy title character of the old TV sitcom "Bachelor Father"?

>> What are other names are new to the 21st century? Mooseroots.com dove
>>=
into the SSA data on names to figure out which ones are popular now that = basically didn't exist before 2000. That is, fewer than 100 babies a = year were given any one of these names.
>>=20
>> Here are the 26 popular baby names that basically didn't exist before
>>=
2000:
>>  1. Bentley
>>  2. Nevaeh
>>  3. Mila
>>  4. Khloe
>>  5. Paisley
>>  6. Brantley
>>  7. Ryker
>>  8. Maddox
>>  9. Gael
>>  10. Kingston
>>  11. Zayden
>>  12. King
>>  13. Lyla
>>  14. Londyn
>>  15. Isla
>>  16. Adalyn
>>  17. Norah
>>  18. Jax
>>  19. Arabella
>>  20. Cash
>>  21. Jaylah
>>  22. Beckett
>>  23. Brynlee
>>  24. Karter
>>  25. Arya
>>  26. Vivienne
>>=20
>> <end quote>
>>=20
>> Also Netscape provides
>>=20
>> =
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=3Dhttp-3A__isp.netscape.com_wha=
tsnew_package.jsp-3Fname-3Dfte_classicbabynames_classicbabynames&d=3DAwICa=
Q&c=3D-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=3DwFp3X4Mu39hB2bf13gtz0ZpW1TsSxPIWYiZRsMFFa=
LQ&m=3DA02dYPcn5rue3yX8mWglq0qy3b9FN0_z79dF67Aezq4&s=3DR_N5mdVf6aEY5l4zb9M=
LXWW97G5ZuIE5imPCailvQT0&e=3D=20
>> <begin quote>
>=20
> The American Dialect Society - =
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=3Dhttp-3A__www.americandialect.=
org&d=3DAwICaQ&c=3D-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=3DwFp3X4Mu39hB2bf13gtz0ZpW1TsS=
xPIWYiZRsMFFaLQ&m=3DA02dYPcn5rue3yX8mWglq0qy3b9FN0_z79dF67Aezq4&s=3DJpLUob=
mmITWfz-W8iu-ZnSXFN13zaWcrsYdtkPaNDBc&e=3D=20