[Ads-l] Surely, this isn't a real word!

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Nov 14 21:31:04 UTC 2015

"... smoothed. ... ..._smoothen_ the borders."

"Smoothen"?!

In Google:

664,000 hits

Grammarist.com: "Some[!] dictionaries list _smoothen_, a verb."

And one of those dictionaries is MW. IMO, that's close enough for
government work. I grant that it *is* a real word. But, how have I been
able to live nearly eight dekkids without ever having come across this word
before a few minutes ago? Why does the author not use "smoothened" instead
of "smoothed"?

Youneverknow.

IAC, GB has a couple of 17th-C. cites, the oldest from 1669: "... and
smoothen it with a feather."
--
-Wilson
-----