[Ads-l] [boxed set >] "boxset"

wh5mith wh5mith at BELLSOUTH.NET
Sun Nov 15 22:31:34 UTC 2015

Similarly, we say "ice tea," not "iced tea."
 A brilliant casuist disproved every false generalization. He is justly known lately. Moreover, no pompous quibbler really said that useful verities were xenophobic yet zealous.

     On Sunday, November 15, 2015 5:10 PM, W Brewer <brewerwa at GMAIL.COM> wrote:

Sender:      American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:      W Brewer <brewerwa at GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: [boxed set >] "boxset"

CCD:  << I would most naturally say "a box lunch"--not "a boxed lunch."
But we Southerners are simple folks (it's the humidity). >>
WB:  And you'd never find a box lunch in a lunch box. (How many lunches
could a lunch box box, if a lunch box could box lunch?)