[Ads-l] relish; demise

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Nov 17 03:09:02 UTC 2015

> On Nov 16, 2015, at 7:18 PM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> Comcast blurb for today's "Young and the Restless" episode:
>
> "Billy relishes in Adam's demise."
>
> Anglice':
>
> "Billy takes delight in Adam's misfortune."
>
> JL

Well, as the OED reminds us, a "demise" is properly the 'conveyance or transfer of an estate by will or lease' and secondarily the 'transference or devolution of sovereignty, as by the death or deposition of the sovereign' and only "popularly" 'death or decease', so perhaps it was merely the loss of Adam's estate that Billy consumed with relish.

LH