[Ads-l] Singular they is Web of Language Word of the Year

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Nov 20 14:51:39 UTC 2015

> On Nov 20, 2015, at 12:35 AM, Geoffrey Nunberg <nunberg at ISCHOOL.BERKELEY.EDU> wrote:
>
> Dennis,
>
> I thought this was really good choice — timely and linguistically useful, and brings in all the work you’ve done on these.
>
> I don’t know that the queer uses are straightforward applications of the bound variable use — you get things like “Chris is great — we all like them” and “It feels like making this discovery and coming to terms with it has really helped Sasha become themselves,” from the NYT piece on the kid whose skirt was set on fire, quoting the father (why the plural — why not “themself”? Prescriptive interference?)

Or spellcheck interference.  I've had my singular reflexive "themself" auto-changed to "themselves" many a time--in fact it just happened in this sentence before I caught it.  Here's a datum I've always enjoyed, both for the use of "themselves" rather than "themself" (which I'd have opted for in the context) and of course for one more demonstration that a non-specific singular antecedent of known gender can readily license a bound "they"/"them(self)" rather than a gender-specific alternative:

I challenge you to find a lesbian who doesn’t want to see themselves portrayed on television.
—actress on Showtime’s The L-Word

LH