[Ads-l] Another rare oldie

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Nov 29 01:31:56 UTC 2015

> On Nov 28, 2015, at 6:21 PM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> polish knob: "perform fellatio." Not in HDAS?

Au contraire, if I may beat (as it were) JL to the punch.  Under "knob" (well, it couldn't very well be under "polish" for reasons known only to Random House) we find:

KNOB 'the penis, in phr. POLISH [or (rarely) SLOB] a KNOB', 'to perform masturbation or (now usu.) fellatio, usually considered [clutch one's pearls] vulgar.

(I added a parenthetical above.)

There's a cite for (prostitutes) tickling the knobs (of their customers) from 1660-3.  We have to wait three centuries for the first clear cite for the now-usual meaning (1964:  "How much woul'ja charge t'polish a knob real quick, without bitin'?"   [That last prepositional phrase disambiguates pretty clearly.]

LH