[Ads-l] OT: Another one bites the dust.

Thu Oct 1 01:24:05 UTC 2015

> Il giorno 30 set 2015, alle ore 15:07, Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> ha scritto:

> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: OT: Another one bites the dust.
>
> On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 12:34 AM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> "Amazon.de is now available in English!"
>

> That is, Amazon.de is in the process of developing a version of its site
> entirely in English exactly parallel to the one in German, despite the
> existence of Amazon.com and Amazon.uk and the fact that only a single ID
> and password is needed to do business with any Amazon on earth.
>
> The English-language version is still in beta, so Amazon.de isn't truly
> "available in English," but it's close enough for government work.

That feature has been available for the Japanese Amazon for as long as I can remember:

Just go to http://www.amazon.co.jp/ <http://www.amazon.co.jp/> and select “In English.”

AFAIK, it just means there are people who aren’t literate in Japanese but want to order things from the Japanese Amazon. It seems like a normal development to me.

Localization is a never-ending process because people want all kinds of permutations.

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA

Learn Ainu!  https://sites.google.com/site/aynuitak1