[Ads-l] a good one that Fred has missed

Charles C Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Wed Oct 7 11:44:08 UTC 2015

Hey, y'all--

Just for the record:  _The Dictionary of Modern Proverbs_ was a collaborative project, originally conceived by Fred.  The "acknowledgments" page [vii] mentions the compilers' indebtedness to Garson, Barry, Jon, Ben, Victor, Bill, and others.

All of us who do this sort of historical research perch on the shoulders of giants and walk alongside other, collegial giants.  And now the allegory is hopelessly muddled . . . .

--Charlie

From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Shapiro, Fred <fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU>
Sent: Tuesday, October 6, 2015 5:22 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: a good one that Fred has missed

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       "Shapiro, Fred" <fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU>

I don't want to suggest by the posting below that the Dictionary of Modern =
Proverbs was "my" book.  The "rule of holes" citations in the book, and abo=
ut 95% of whatever is worthwhile in the book, are attributable to Charlie D=
oyle.=0A=
=0A=
Fred Shapiro=0A=
=0A=