[Ads-l] Joke: Does your orchestra ever play requests?

Charles C Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Wed Oct 7 12:21:28 UTC 2015

I am somehow reminded of an old joke--as old as Plutarch, but I believe I've heard a version attributed to Samuel Johnson and possibly others.

The stereotypically garrulous barber asks, "Sir, how would you like to be shaved?" (or "how do you wish your hair to be cut?").  The dyspeptic client replies, "In silence."

--Charlie

From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Tuesday, October 6, 2015 5:32 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Joke: Does your orchestra ever play requests?

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM>

Barry found a great citation in 1922 for the "music request" joke. He
has now updated his entry on this topic:

http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/waiter_does_the_pia=
nist_play_requests/

[Begin excerpt]
28 May 1922, Salt Lake Telegram (Salt Lake City, UT), magazine sec.,
pg. 5, col. 7:
MUSIC WITH HIS MEALS.
The discordant music rendered by the so-called orchestra had so upset
one of the diners that he called the restaurant manager and remarked:

=E2=80=9CI note the paragraph on your menu wherein you state that the
orchestra will play anything on request. Can you prove the assertion?=E2=80=
=9D

=E2=80=9CYes,=E2=80=9D replied the manager. =E2=80=9CTheir repertoir is ver=
y extensive. What
do you wish them to play?=E2=80=9D

=E2=80=9CTell =E2=80=98em to play pinochle until I have finished my meal, a=
nd I will
be very grateful.=E2=80=9D=E2=80=94From Everybody=E2=80=99s Magazine for Ju=
ne.
[End excerpt]

Garson