[Ads-l] "filing above the rod"

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Thu Oct 8 18:47:31 UTC 2015

Placing a catalog card in its presumed place in a library card catalog, but above the rod so that another, perhaps more experienced librarian can check if it's been filed in the proper place.

This seems like a neat metaphor for doing some task in a manner that permits a second person easily to find the result and check its correctness.  But we'll have to make it so -- the dozen Google hits I find for "filing above the rod" all refer to library catalogs.

Joel