[Ads-l] Antedating of face-off

Wed Oct 14 20:41:22 UTC 2015

Here is citation for "face-off" in the lacrosse domain in June 1883.

Date: June 10, 1883
Newspaper: The Courier-Journal
Newspaper Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Article: Lacrosse: The Louisville Champions Defeat the St. Louis Visitors
Quote Page 7, Column 5
Database: Newspapers.com

[Begin excerpt]
THIRD GAME--West was again the lucky man on the face-off, but Campbell
was on hand, and down the ball came on the Louisville goals, but not
to stay
[End excerpt]

Garson